Thursday, June 21, 2007

Not so brief up-date

The weather guy just said that Tucson "has one of the best weather climates in the world." He, obviously, has never lived anywhere else. It's hot - still.

Today was the end of a very long 5 days. In the past 5 days I have taken 3 exams and written a paper. No, that wasn't finals. I am very tired but today I treated myself to a massage - which, of course, gave me a headache. Note to self, ahhh, I don't have a note to self. I don't know what caused the headache. So here's the brief rundown of the past week (or so).

Grief.
I hope not to ever work in hospice. Noble profession, not for me. We had the hospice nurses come and do a lecture on grief, dying, blah, blah... It was interesting and helpful, a bit touching at times. Now remember, I average 6-7 hours of sleep these days. After about 2 hours of this lecture one of my classmates raised her hand and asked us to stop as she has a friend dying and this is all very hard for her. Seriously. Seriously!!! Me and my amazing sensitivity thought, "Dude, get a grip or go out but don't stop a lecture". So the touchy, feely nurse had everyone close their eyes and take a deep breath. Bad idea. No deep breaths. My shallow wheezing was keeping me from weeping like a crazed lunatic (don't forget - I'm really tired). So deep breaths. Then she tells us to picture our happy place. ARE YOU INSANE!!!!! I'M PATHETICALLY HOMESICK AND YOU WANT ME TO PICTURE MY HAPPY PLACE??? So I was the lame girl that cried at school. Luckily most people didn't notice. And I now avoid my "happy place" while on campus.

Allergy Testing
I got tested for allergies. I'm allergic to lots of stuff. Hence I can't breathe very well, my lab mates love listening to my wheezy lungs and I take lots of medicine. I'm supposed to use my inhaler when I go outside but I feel like that nerdy kid that no one wanted on their kickball team, so then I don't use it very often. And then I can't breathe. Maybe being the nerdy kid isn't so bad. I start allergy shots in the next week or so. Thank heavens for modern medicine and immunology.

My 1st Cockroach
Until I moved to Tucson I had never seen a cockroach. I saw my first one outside, near bushes and it had to be pointed out to me. The next one I saw, last night, was in my bathroom. I'm not usually fussy about bugs but it was big and crunchy and had wings. Yes, I squealed. Luckily my roommate and her friend were home and they were able to kill it with a flip-flop. I'm incredibly grateful because I would have had to move, leaving all my stuff in the bathroom. I'm still a little nervous in there but it's really hard to hold your feet up while you micturate (that's peeing for lay people).

0 comments: