Friday, July 06, 2007

One Term Down

I took my last exam of the term on Thursday morning. I think it was a bit sick and wrong to give us our biggest exam the day after Independence Day but no one consults me on these things. Needless to say, my holiday was a bit lack luster but I did well on my exam. I would have liked to do better but an A is an A. Was that bragging? Maybe just a little. I'm really pleased with how well this first term went and, starting Monday, I will be heading to a long-term care facility to apply my newly developed skills. Half the class will be going to long-term care (LTC) and the other half will be doing an OB rotation (then we'll switch). I think it's laughable that they subject old people and laboring mothers to nursing students with a whopping 5 weeks of school and very little practice. I can see why both student nurses and the patients report being nervous.

Since I arrived I've been hearing about the monsoons that are apparently so spectacular. Well, one has been "coming in" for 2 days now but I've seen little more than a sprinkle. I'm very excited for the electrical storms and the decrease in the temperature. Last night we lost power. Not a good night as it was movie night. The host lost power so the whole group came out to my house (10 min drive) only to find my power out. So we went back to the original host's house who, luckily, had power restored. It was much funnier yesterday.

Tomorrow we're planning on floating down the river. I have no clue which river except that it's in Chandler area and that I get to eat Cafe Rio afterward. I would probably go just for the Cafe Rio.

Some of you have asked what my apartment, school, Sim Man, etc. are. I will work on posting some pictures in the next couple days so check back. I've also had requests to know what my schedule is like. It changes but here's a look at next week.

MONDAY
8-10am Group Discussion - we meet in small groups and discuss readings. I'm probably the only conservative thinker in my group. Anything you deduct from that is probably true. Especially since I've noticed that one member in particular doesn't wash her hands after using the bathroom.

10-11am Course Orientation - we're starting a new quarter so I assume they'll be telling us where we need to be and what we need to be doing but not with enough detail that anyone will actually have a clue.

12-2pm Pharmacology

2:30-3:30pm On-site OB clinical tour and Orientation - I'm not sure how that's going to work since it will take far longer than 30 minutes to get to my OB site.


TUESDAY
8-11am LTC Clinical Orientation

12-4pm Pediatric Skills Class - Why are we having a pediatric skills class when we won't actually work with peds until Fall.

WEDNESDAY-FRIDAY
6:45-2:45 Clinical - LTC

This seems, to me, to be a fairly light week. I'm especially excited that we only have reading to do for Monday (mind you, it's 6 chapters of pharmacology and something really boring about being a professional nurse) and an assignment due on Friday. I may actually make it to FHE!

0 comments: