Saturday, September 15, 2007

Good News

This has been a much better week. I started clinical on Monday, well technically Tuesday as Monday was orientation. I was assigned to a nurse who also happens to be a nursing instructor at Pima. I am so lucky - and I'm not being sarcastic. She was wonderful! She had me tag along with all her patients as well as take care of my own patient. That way I got to do WAY more stuff than I would have. I doubt it's exciting to anyone else but I got to give a heparin shot, an insulin shot, reposition patients, manage a chest tube, see dialysis, work with contact precautions patients (a preview to my infectious disease career) and give LOTS of meds. I remember now why I want to be a nurse. Sometimes I find the class work and lectures tremendously overwhelming and miserable but once I'm working with patients (minus long-term care) I remember why I'm doing this. I love it.

Overall this week has been better. I managed to get to institute this week - I've been making a real effort. I'm taking a Doctrines of the Gospel class for 25-30 year olds. It's interesting and enjoyable to hang out with others my age (sort of my age). I've exercised 5 times this week - 2 of those times being racquetball. Racquetball is my new favorite sport. I'm getting better at it. I can actually beat most of the new players and hold my own with the more experienced ones. I've only been hit a couple of times but this week I managed to whack my own hand with the racket. I have a lovely bruise now.


(I know you can't see it very well in the photo but I thought you'd all like to see a photo of my hand!)

Friday night I went swimming/hot tubing with Scott, Chris, Jaime and Brian then watched a movie and today I'm going over to their house to watch the football game. While that might not seem like a big deal to most people I'm really enjoying having my own friends (that call me). It's taken a while to find my group.

Mark (behind), Wes (front left), me, Jamie, Chris, Amy (in front) at the football game.

Next week will be more of the same - except I have to go in on Sunday to get my patient. I'm bummed that there was no way to resolve that but what can I do, right?

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I glad that things are going better. i also like that you are trying to update your blog. at least weekly.

chickadee3357 said...

That is so great that you remember why you are doing this. Also, love that you have a found a new, fun sport. Steve says its great because its not very expensive and you can do it easily. Of course, money is most important in the world of Steve. Its great that you have friends too.