Tuesday, September 18, 2007

GI Lab

I only got blood on the floor once. My nurse said I have beautiful technique. My first IV stick wasn't, as they say, successful but then again that vein was never seen again. All the rest, not bad for a newbie. I actually really enjoyed starting IV lines and, yes maybe it's sadistic, but I liked sticking the vein. There's quite an art to it but my patients said I did great. And the blood - I just forgot to occlude the vein before pulling out the needle. I won't forget that again! Oh, and while I was in the GI lab I got to see a couple colonoscopies and an EGD (esophogus, stomach, small intestine). Pretty cool and thankfully everyone who had a colonoscopy today followed their prep routine so there was NO POOP! Seriously, that's a REALLY good thing.

P.S. I posted some new pictures on my "Better Week" post.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

IV's hurt.

Are you sure you want to be a nurse when you grow up?

Julie said...

Umm, yep. I can't wait. Oh wait, yes I can. I'm still afraid I'm going to hurt/kill my patients. That's what I would classify as a bad outcome.