Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Recipe Challenge

By way of explanation:

I just began a new diet. It's a pretty rigid diet but I am confident I will be successful with it and the long term benefits will far out-weigh the sacrifices. But I need help. I am required to eat lots of veggies and you all know I'm not the biggest veggie fan. So here's the challenge: please post/email me your favorite veggie recipes and prep tips. There are a few requirements: there are specific veggies I'm supposed to eat so please limit your veggies to those. You may use any spices but no oil of any kind. Vinegar is allowed.

List of approved veggies:

Asparagus
Cabbage
Cauliflower (not broccoli - thank goodness)
Celery
Cucumber
Green Pepper
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Onion
Spinach
Spring onions/Scallions
Tomato (no grape/cherry)
Zucchini
Squash

Recommended Spices:
Black Pepper
Curry (without starch)
Mustard (powder only)
Vinegar
Garlic (YEA!!!)
All Herbs
Cinnamon
Ginger
Cloves
Salt

I promise I will try each recipe. Thanks in advance for your help!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

So, I am not all that helpful. We like veggies at our house. My kids LOVE broccoli.

I do use the microwave steam bags, or my steamer insert in a pot for things like broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, and carrots, and that works out great.

I don't eat mushrooms or onions or scallions.

I love zuccini or summer squash in a pan with some olive oil and parmesan cheese sprinkled on right before I eat it. You could try using a little vinegar in lieu of oil just for moisture, or spray the pan with pam or something.

Butternut squash is great in the oven with cinnamon sprinkled on it (and brown sugar and a touch of butter, but of course, that doesn't really support the diet, so just stick with cinnamon, amd maybe a little ginger or even pumpkin pie spice).

And of course, salads are great with lettuce, cucumber, celery, green pepper, baby spinach, tomotoes, and some vinegar and salt maybe.

Best of luck to you!

chickadee3357 said...

Sorry I haven't looked at your blog in a week! Okay...oil is hard to leave out. So if you haven't already looked at Allrecipes.com I would suggest that. You can click on the more searches and do ingredient search and search for a veggie and say that you want recipes that don't have oil in it. I have a slow cooker chicken recipe I love that I got from allrecipes. It has bell pepper and onion (and pineapple). Yum! I will try to find some other recipes.

Mom of Four said...

Wow! Is your diet restricted only to veggies or can you have meat? dairy? and how long without oil? I mean, fat and good oils are essential for our well-being. But as far as veggies go, maybe you could roast some zuccini, butternut squash and onion in the oven with a little garlic, salt and pepper.

If you have certain meats or other things to go with the veggies, I could offer more recipes. good luck! Make sure this is healthy too!