Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The move...

I was planning on extending my CA visit to Wednesday before heading to VA, but come to find out, I have to have my pre-employment physical done on Wednesday so I flew out to VA today. When I arrive at the rental car place to pick up my car (who knows when mine will actually arrive) it's softly raining. When I finish my paperwork and walk outside it's softly raining. When I arrive at my car (50 feet away) it's a torrential downpour. I'm soaked through by the time I finish putting my luggage in the car. So I bust out my new GPS and map it for home. About 5 minutes later the battery dies. So I'm on some freeway, somewhere near Dulles airport, in a downpour, with no directions. And no pen. So I pull over and scramble to the trunk (confident I will be run over by an 18 wheeler) to try to find a pen in my luggage. Once located I called my friend who directed me home and invited me to come watch him play basketball. Ohhh, fun. But I'm a sucker for socializing so I did. He arrived 30 minutes later than I expected so I sat on the stage with a bunch of sweating guys I didn't know. I'm pretty sure they thought I was some kind of stalker freak/desperate social retard. Seriously, who goes and watches church basketball on Tuesday night?! It was pretty funny and I was very happy when he finally showed up and demonstrated that I was not quite as big a loser as they may have thought.

So tomorrow I start unpacking. I have way more stuff than I realized but I think I have enough space for it all. My roommates seem really nice - they've done so much to make this move manageable for me. I don't know what I would have done otherwise.

P.S. Last night my family had a combined Family Home Evening at Dave & Crissie's house. It was so much fun and I loved watching my nieces and nephews participate in learning the gospel. Listening to them sing "I am a Child of God" about made my heart burst. I hope they take the message to heart and always remember who they are and how much they are loved, both by their Heavenly Father and their earthly family. I don't know if there is anything I wouldn't do for those kids. I miss them dearly when I'm not there and leaving is always painful. On the happy side, I took a ton of pictures, some sweet ones and some funny ones. I'll post them soon so come back and check...

1 comments:

Kristin said...

Big congrats!!!

Hope everything in VA goes very well for you. Enjoy the new job!