Monday, November 10, 2008

Uncle Rod

A week ago Sunday my Uncle Rod passed away. I've been thinking a lot about him and the influence he had on me and my hope and belief in the Plan of Salvation. My strongest memory of Uncle Rod was Christmas of 1995. I had just completed my first semester at BYU and had taken anatomy in the hopes of going to their nursing program. Rod was so encouraging of my goal and taught me a mnemonic to remember the carpal bones (wrist bones). I can remember the mnemonic but I still have a hard time remembering the names of the bones. "Some Lovers Try Positions That They Can't Handle". S?, Lunate, T?, Pisiform, T?, T?, Capitate, Hamate.

Rod was also always so willing to let us visit the cabin in Hatch. I have so many fond memories there and it was such an escape while I was living in Utah. I often dream about it and it is one of my favorite "happy places".

The other truly significant memory I have is actually of a testimony that was born in my singles ward in Dublin. One of the counselors in the bishopric bore his testimony about service and talked about Uncle Rod. Rod had been this man's family doctor. He shared how Rod was always available to answer questions or examine or comfort this man and his family members. He shared that long after Rod had retired he still would follow up and give sought after advice. The counselor was so impressed by the Christ-like love and compassion Uncle Rod had shown his family. It was just another reminder to me of the legacy of love demonstrated in our family. I have been a recipient of that love and hope never to do anything to tarnish that legacy.

Lastly, Uncle Rod's death has given me the opportunity to reflect on my hope and belief in the Plan of Salvation. I feel great comfort in knowing that our family has been sealed by those with authority and that if I live according to my covenants I will be with them for eternity. That is such a comfort. I know that I will see Uncle Rod again and though I am sad to be parted from him now, I know he has been reunited with those he loves that have already passed. I am so grateful for the testimony of Jesus Christ's gospel that I have and know that so much of it has been gained from the example of my family, including Uncle Rod and Aunt Louise. How blessed I am to have this peace.

0 comments: